Wednesday 5 August 2009

Eurotrip 2.0.!

I love to travel and conquer the world. There is nothing more exciting to me than seeing new places, getting to know people and learn about different cultures and languages.
No wonder that I said "of course" when a friend asked me to join him for a roadtrip through France. Oh dear...little did I know what I got myself into....

Three weeks ago it all started.
The car was filled with our luggage, a tent, 2 Michael Jackson CD´s, and plenty of food...
It took us 8 hours to drive from Berlin to Paris. It was a geographical pop quiz for me...we passed so many places I heard of but had no idea where they were...east Germany or west Germany? Who cares anyway...all that matters is Berlin....

...back to topic...

We finally arrived in Paris! We were guests in a Parisian flatshare. I instantly realized that we have alot in common...the love for good food, good wine and good time! I felt a bit like a supporting actor in a "L´auberge espagnol" sequel, but cooler - of course. Merci - and you are welcome in Berlin anytime!

The days were filled with sightseeing and alot of walking....the evenings with caves pop (caves populaire) - my favourite place in Paris. Thanks to two German friends of mine, Mlle T. and Princess S.,I was shown a nice place for lunch and a great place for dinner as well...especially if you like your steak to be close to sushi rare....hm, yummy.

Next stop: Versailles.
By the way, its my new summer house in case you are wondering. I think of changing the furniture and add a spa and gym area. Maybe change the park a bit...a pool would be nice. How about a gamble room? Or a Disco with a Pole?
Anyhow, I need people who will take care of my new house...in exchange I will not pay you and treat you badly. Please apply via mail.

Fontainebleau, Saint Santur, Nevers, Magny Cours, Moulins, Saint German Lespinasse...all places we have been to within a week. I must say France is a very beautiful and welcoming country. The people are all very nice and the food taste amazing...I was swimming in the Loire and strolled around little villages and...but enough of this poetic blah blah...the highlite was Magny Cours. Perfect timing...just as we arrived there were test drives going on. We were standing next to the cars and drivers and could watch, listen and learn. Unforunately I was not aloud to drive...maybe better, for them and my insurance...

Long story short...my trip through France ended just upon arrival in Lyon...
The so called friend, all of sudden realized that he needs to do some soul searching..."who am I? what should I do? What do I want?" Yadi-yadi-yada....
Me being around would harm and interrupt his "journey to his true self"...basically he kicked me out, but of course " it has nothing to do with you...it is me that needs space for myself"....
I felt like being part of something between a bad brazilian telenovela and american sitcom...with a pinch of Brüno.

Needless to say I was pretty pissed and we are not friends anymore.

Now, Ivo alone in Lyon, was running from ticket counter to ticket counter at the Lyon airport
trying to get a ticket to somewhere...and ended up later that day in Madrid. For the first time I wanted to be economical and save some Euros...and took the Metro. It was the most expensive Metro ride I ever had...some bandidos stole my iPhone. Stupid me!
So I was in Madrid, for the first time in my life, supposed to meet my fellow flatmate from Rome - Lady A., who is living here now and offered me to stay over. She introduced me to some great friends of hers and of course her Dalmatian "Dotsy" (I hope I remembered correctly...). Gracias!

A day later, and three hours train ride, I arrived in Malaga. A friend of mine was already expecting me and off we were towards Marbella. ....finally holiday started...
Within the next 12 days all we did was lay in the sun...play backgammon, drink Rosé, Mojitos, Daiquiris...eat...and played "bartender" each friday. Thanks again Sparky Marky for being a great host and an even better friend!

One day we spent in Gibraltar...which was really strange...little Britain with sunshine and monkeys?

Anyhow...I am back in Berlin now and must say:
I have a learned alot about friendship and Rosé, seen so many new places and met amazing people who I hope to stay in contact with for more than just a summer memory.

I am already curious to see where I will be going next and who knows...maybe it is you I will call when stranded somewhere...mwaahhhh....

tbc.

No comments:

Post a Comment